Monday, June 22, 2009

A Smaller Base


Several days ago I arrived at a smaller base 60 miles NE of Baghdad. I'm staying out here for a few days to check out a more rustic lifestyle. There is no pool, no movie theater, no large stores or grand dining halls. I do have my own room, but its quite bare with two sagging mattresses as my only furniture. I sat in my bed last night, dangling my dog tags and room key in my fingers, pondering my situation. I find so much peace in new places. I grow so restless and anxious living in the same space day after day.

Last night the soldiers had a bonfire. They poked fun at each other will glee and complimented each other with sincere smiles. With so much laughter, so much camaraderie, so much appreciation for one another I discovered the brotherhood that these deployments create. These men live in an area the size of a football field and they have found a way to make the best of the long days of intense and horrifying missions. They have also found a way to deal with long days waiting for missions, but even then there is always maintenance work for the Blackhawks. When the work is done the enduring force keeping these soldiers together is teamwork and friendship.

It just goes to show its not what you have, its who you have.
So I guess its okay that I own nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment