Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bugs and Pizza

Some days I can wait for nightfall, for the too bright sky to dim and for the relief of cooler air. But as soon as the sky turns a darker blue the bugs come out, and the itching and annoyance of tiny bites kick in. The trend in Afghanistan is that there are two sides to the coin, but each side comes equipped with it's own side of problems. The schools are put up with great success in the main village of Marjah, but in a school nearby there are no children. The Marines hate to be stuck on the base without being able to do their job, but every week yields more killed in action on these patrols outside the wire.
As my time gets shorter here, I long for more time to tell more stories, but when three months is over I think I'll be ready to take a break. Last night I lay in bed thinking about pizza and the image of a lovely slice kept me awake as I seemed to not be able to think of anything else. It seems the little things are what affect me the most here. I talked to another Marine last night who agreed with me. Just one real meal, or Internet or a phone call gives you another jolt of energy.
I am getting ready to head back to Echo Company and will be back at the District Center in Marjah to cover the elections.

New stories are posted almost every couple of days at KVAL.com

No comments:

Post a Comment