Friday, May 22, 2009

The Airfield

It's a ten minute walk to the airfield from my CHU. I often get stopped by cars slowing down to ask if I need a ride. Once on the compound (area on the airfield with offices and barricades) there is silence, unless a mission has been called in, then boots stomp through the gravel and rotor blades fill the air. Otherwise it is a ghost town. Everyone has a job, everyone is filed away in their own trailers working on paperwork or passing the boredom with cards and movies. Others are carrying or dragging or driving around helicopter parts or other odds and ends. If you stand by the landing pads on a clear day,more often then not other helicopters come in to drop off patients or things unknown at the hospital that is only fifty or so feet away.

Beyond the high concrete walls a few trees peek over and from inside the Blackhawk, when it soars over the base you can see the fields of green just beyond our reach.

1 comment:

  1. I'm Ron Merlin, and my daughter is a flight medic in the unit you are embedded with. Merissa Merlin. I look forward to every email or facebook post I can see from her, and I look forward to YOUR publications also, here on your blog, and KVAL also.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete