Saturday, May 30, 2009

Letter from Home

I got several packages from home and ripped into them like a deer on fresh grass. One box, from a friend, contained various books from the greats like Dickey Chappelle, Gloria Emerson, Micheal Herr and Tim O'Brian. If only I could finish Gertrude Bell's biography, but I am savoring every word which makes it difficult to turn the page quickly.


The other box, from my mother and father, included a large tin filled with homemade brownies,, much needed pairs of new socks, gray t-shirts, bags of candy by request, tiger milk bars, a DVD of my brother's recently televised Mixed Martial Arts fight and a hand written note. There is nothing quite like seeing my mother's longhand on a piece of paper. I imagine her sitting in her chair one night and writing to me, folding the paper, sealing it up and sending it off. So unlike the sterile and professional email.

I feel as if I have been gone for years. I hear myself saying to soldiers, "I can't believe you have to be here for ten months," and they reply "Why are you leaving early?" I have no intention of not staying, but its surreal for me, like I am just watching days go by.

2 comments:

  1. Even though this is my third deployment, I still have times where I feel the same way. Just watching days fall off the calendar. The weird part is when this is all over with, it seems like a short time has passed.

    ReplyDelete