Monday, August 17, 2009

Profile Pictures




I spent the better part of the day trying to build a makeshift studio for photographing soldiers. There were several obstacles including trying to find a window that would open and let in natural light. Most of the windows here are painted black to protect the glass from the hot sun. On top of that they are duct taped shut. Next task was finding a background. The genius in me found a green blanket and hung it up. Then came the soldiers, who I must admit were pretty accommodating. Many wanted to know why I am doing this. I had many answers, I'm documenting history, I'm doing my job, I'm bored, I think they're pretty. So one by one I had them sit down and they let me stick my big camera in their faces. Certain people had trouble not laughing, but we're all human and who says soldiers can't smile? Overall, I say great success.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful project. I love you finding a way to make it work by determination and trial-and-error. That is so big. And what a wonderful collection you'll have. Keep on!
    Good stuff, as always.

    ReplyDelete