Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!!


This would have been the worst birthday ever had it felt like it was actually my birthday. Not that a few people did not try to make it memorable. One soldier presented me with bubble wrap as a gift, which was actually quite a nice stress reliever. As we watched Monty Python's Holy Grail, my choice, and ate pizza, I happily popped my plastics bubbles.
I spent the morning on the phone interviewing an interpreter from Darfur. For the rest of the day I attempted to write a story about rock climbing, but it's been so long since I've been out on real rock I seem to have forgotten what it is all about.
On the positive side, I had Internet access all day and was able to view the many heartfelt messages sent by friends and families on Facebook. To everyone who thought of me yesterday, thank you so much, you have no idea what it means to feel loved while so far from home.
On the negative side, I was hoping the soldiers would let me do whatever I wanted and be extra nice to me since it was my birthday, but apparently they didn't agree. "Now you're gonna be the old chick at the bar," one soldier joked. When I announced to another soldier it was my special day he responded, "eat shit."
happy Birthday to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment