Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Bus Ride

I'm in a large bus.  The movie, "Dan in Real Life" plays on a small screen overhead. I nod off to sleep. When I awake I wonder, why are there rows and rows of men surrounding me? It takes me a minute to remember that I am an embedded journalist with the Oregon Army National Guard. For at  least the next nine hours I will spend close quarters with these soldiers. 

I could report something interesting, but the truth is I fall asleep again. Sleeping being one of my greatest skills.


We stop in several gas stations in small towns that sell anything from car radios to belt buckles to patriotic clothing. 

The soldiers wander through shelves of cupcakes and crackers. They are allowed to wear their civilians clothes until we get back to the base. I am surprised that I cannot identify certain people outside of their camouflage gear and tan boots. Soldiers look much different donning white tennis shoes and t-shirts with funny slogans.

No comments:

Post a Comment