Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Packing

Day One
March 31st 

In the past I've purchased most of my clothes from either second hand stores or from discount racks. Now I'm left with a bright red fleece, a lime-green rain shell, pink wool tops, and purple socks. Last week, I started packing for my ten-month trip to Iraq. I need clothes. Turns out that colors like khaki, grey, green and black are hardly ever on sale, but I can't go to the desert wearing primary colors. Now after several shopping trips my suitcase is packed with around 30 pounds of earth tones. 
Some other key items packed away:
-Over fifteen books including One Hundred Years of Solitude and Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations.
-A hat with a net that fall around your face to protect from bugs.
-Headlamps, sleeping bag, note pads and other uninteresting items.
-Handheld video camera, two camera bodies, four lenses and computer.
-A giant cookie baked by my neighbor.
-A picture of my grandmother and two great aunts, a gift from my uncle.
-A desire to maintain objectivity.

After all this careful packing I hand off my bags to the airport. Unfortunately after nine hours of traveling my final flight is canceled and my bags are routed to my original destination without me. So for my first four days in the Army I have to wear the same outfit. It works out fine since the soldiers have to wear their uniforms everyday. What's my uniform of choice? Black lightweight wool zip up and jeans. I tell everyone that I'm roughing it.



2 comments: