Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Meal Ready to Eat

Today I'm treated to my first MRE or Meal Ready to Eat. I am offered several vegetarian options, such as the veggie burger, manicotti and the vegetable omelet. The meals come with powdered drinks, side dishes and dessert. They are similar to the dehydrated meals you find for backpacking at outdoor stores.
My first choice is the veggie burger. The "meat" cooks in a bag that chemically produces heat and I am told it can reach finger burning degrees. After carefully removing the warmed meat from the bag using a soldier's pocket knife I take my first bite. It tastes a lot like tofu jerky, salty and chewy. A bun or wheat bread cracker compliments the patty. A packet of potato skins, similar to potato chips make the meal complete. 
The best thing about the MREs is that mini bottles of hot sauce are included in each packet because as one soldier said, "it makes everything taste good."
It's not too bad considering that I won't have to eat one three times a day. From what I've heard the MRE will keep your stomach full in more ways than one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment