Sunday, August 8, 2010

Err Final Final Destination

Turns out we are headed to a smaller base, Marja (also spelled Marjah or Marjeh). If you want to know more about it I urge you to google it. I'm fairly certain that in a matter of hours we will be off the grid, without phones or email. Before that I am waiting in my tent, in the sand, in the chow hall for that great unknown. When I told a soldier this morning I was headed to Marja, he shook his head. "No way I want to out there," he said explaining how hot it is there, meaning the amount of fire they are receiving. Of course he then added, "But now that I am here I want to be there." Some of the guys in his unit are down there.
Dan and I are staying on opposite sides of the base right now so I haven't seen him since 6 pm last night. It makes me realize how glad I am to be traveling with someone else. I've spent the better part of the morning wondering where he is, what he's doing, if he's okay, blah, blah.
The last I heard from our contacts here was also last night. So I hope they'll find me when the time comes.
This may be my last post for a while.
Wish me well.

1 comment: