Tuesday, August 10, 2010

On The Grid Again


Turns out we're not in the far reaches of the desert living off rainwater and digging foxholes in the sand. But as you will soon see on KVAL.com, we are roughing it. Well by the Marine's standards we have rather luxurious facilities. Marines are known for their love of camping out in remote and tough terrain. Even crud showers are looked at as the high life. As I am the only female on the base, I have to shower after hours, with a Marine standing in front of the tent as a guard. So yes I am already a pain in the ass, but the soldiers are gracious hosts.
So far we've been able to track down two Oregon soldiers and we've heard there are more in the surrounding areas. Dan and I are hoping to cover as much ground as possible, so whenever they allow us to go on patrol we are willing.
I have already requested to extend my embed with this unit as well as a female Marine unit focused on working with the local women.
I'm hoping to stay in country at least until mid-October, one can only hope for more time in the desert.
Soldiers keep asking me who I pissed off to get me job, I don't have the heart to tell them I had to beg, steal and borrow to get this job.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you two got in. Where are you anyway? In the south?

    ReplyDelete