Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Shower Time

The good news is that I have finally taken a shower after nearly 12 days. The bad news is that Dan smells even worse now.

The shower over here at the district center is a stall with a thin black curtain in front of it, and yes it has a tendency to flap in the wind. You have to fill white buckets of water take them into the stall and pour one after the other in another bucket with holes in the bottom. Then you heave that bucket up to a hook, just in your reach, and let the cool, clear water run over your filthy body. There may be some curious Afghan children outside making you nervous as they stand beside the curtain, but luckily you'll have a friend to stand guard for you.

I know I keep saying this is my last post, but really this is it for a while.

Over and out.

3 comments:

  1. You'll be proud knowing that Staj and I only took 4 showers over the past month of riding. We made it to Sequoia NP and now we're back in Portland for a month. Keep working hard Cali, what you're doing is incredible. Staj and I missed your company out on the road, but with Staj's defunct front derailuer and continuous flats, your spirit was never far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the parent of a Marine currently stationed in your immediate vicinity, I would like to thank you and Dan for your excellent reporting. It's reports from you and your co-workers that keep us going. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw photos of you in Afghanistan that someone shared on my wall. They shared it to show me the chapel you were standing in front of, to show it's name remains. That chapel is named after my husband. I hope you find peace there. Have a safe embed.

    ReplyDelete